Friday, October 10, 2008

50% Chance

So, Monday we get an email about an almost 15 month old girl that needs a "forever family." Cool. We say, we'd love her. We were then asked about our homestudy. I looked at said homestudy. Expiring in less than 2 weeks! Not cool! I panic. Call our adoption investigator extradanaire, and she sends me on errands. That was Monday. Tuesday I find out that our (old) family profile book was sent to the grandmother (who has custody), along with 6 other families. 1 out 7 chance. 15% chance. So Wednesday June (adoption queen) emails and helps us update our homestudy. She also gives me the name of the DSS person that processes DSS checks. Usually it take 2 weeks. I called Mrs. Barbara and she was willing to take the paperwork from me and process it. I still figured a week. Nope. Thursday I showed up with a check and the signed papers and she said, hang on. I waited and about 45 minutes later she comes back with papers ready! 2 days and I am paperwork ready. Rock on! So Thursday night about 9:45 Mike and I are in bed about asleep and the phone rings. I jump up. Out of state listing. Probably adoption related. The cell phone stops and house phone starts ringing. I run downstairs and it is the director of the agency. "Hi. Just wanted to make sure your paperwork was indeed ready." "Yes." "And you are planning to stay home for 3 months after the adoption?" "Yes." And you are willing to have an open adoption and make yearly visits to the grandmother." "Uh, yes...Have we been chosen?" I ask hesitantly. "Oh, no." She responds with no hint of hope or disallusionment. "I just was going to have a conference call with grandma and wanted to make sure I had all my answers if I was asked anything." Heart still beating very fast. She thanks me and says goodbye. I run upstairs and am thankful I took Nighttime Tylenol.
So today I get home from work and have two hang ups on the answering machine. She calls back a little while later and tells me that the grandmother has narrowed the choices to us and another couple. Wow. Odds just went to 50%. Better. So at this very moment, at 8:45pm, we are still waiting for her to call us. Get it over with! I hope the silly funny charming Cara comes out instead of the super nervous shy Cara. That will get us nothing. :)
So, I'm off to wait some more. Update later.

No comments: