Saturday, July 19, 2008

Saturday....Just more rambling thoughts

So, its been a full week-at least in my head. Monday-Wednesday my teachers and I met to work on the curriculum upgrade. What a fantastic group of women! We kicked butt typing a Life Skills curriculum for our students that need a "other than college" focus in life. I am super excited about everything we will do this year! I also showed them some Montessori lessons and seemed like most everyone was hooked. The stuff speaks for itself. We also had an interesting discussion about brain research and deaf kids and how we teach. The book I am currently reading "Teaching with the brain in mind" says that we (teachers) can either have our students attention OR they can be making meaning. We (deaf ed teachers historically) have shoved language and vocabulary and words words words down our students with little improvement. In a Montessori lesson, the first presentation of the lesson is done in complete silence. The student is watching and thinking and processing. My teachers and I talked about if we provided some Montessori lessons to our students, in silence, allowing them to think and process-might that actually create a schema or connection in their brain that when we added the language and vocabulary, it would stick? Lots of us will be testing that idea this year.

On Tuesday, I get a call from my AMAZING bank that they have a check of mine that appears to be forged! Bad. I went to the bank and met with Ms. Davis who was the floor manager. A woman came through the drive through with a $425 check written to herself with a signature of mine and Mike's that was obviously forged. Luckily my bank checks the signature and cares about its clients. Ms. Davis called me 5 times until she finally got my secretary, who tracked me down. ANYWAY, I immediately thought of my house cleaning service, which is the only people that have access to my house. So I called the owner, too. I filed a police report in that county and after picking up (super grumpy Talia) went to my county and filed the theft report. Turns out that my house cleaning service was trying to be good people and were supporting a DSS program that helps single women get jobs. That program was supposed to do a background check on the women, but the owner of the agency always does a second check. The woman that tried to cash the check had been a one day trainee in that DSS program and took a check from my desk! Grrrrrr. At least she didn't get any money, but I'm still making sure she is charged. Grrrr. In addition to the fun of being taken advantage of, and filing police reports, on the way home from the police station, I got REAR ENDED in my freaking RENTAL car! My car was in the shop from the little boy that ran into me 3 months ago and I get hit again in the rental car! Thank goodness I had insurance and extra rental car insurance. Dude. What a day! But my friend Lisa cooked a delicious dinner and have multiple Bud Light Limes on hand. Allll better. :)

Since then, life has been remarkably calmer. Ta and I went to my parents house for a couple of days. Always nice and relaxing. Fun pictures to come.

Went to my church's scrapbooking night with Brenda. Love it. 5 hours to actually craft! Heaven-no pun intended. There were 15 people there tonight. And a cool skateboarding ministry outside-so we had tons of skater boys all over the parking lot and skater boy-looking-girls on the sidelines. Cuteness. One random time, all the kids not attached to a skateboard lined up and "field tripped" to see what we were doing, like a museum exhibit. Strange. But I was looking just as hard as I dodged the boards going to my car. Funny. I am old.

Oh. Finally saw Juno Saturday night. Awesome music. I know I am a couple years behind movies, but I never get to go out. Actually from the time Talia arrived home in 2004, I didn't watch a movie in the theater until The Bee Movie. And that JUST came out. I digress (again). Cute movie. I had no idea it was about adoption. I watched it with a little more emotion that I would have if we weren't waiting for a baby via adoption, but it was so different than if we were waiting on our first. My sister, emotional goddess that she is, even cried. I didn't. Of course I don't tear up for anything. Julie said "You need your own Juno." Cute. Would be nice. A smart, funny, driven, mindful pregnant teenager that chooses to give us her child. All set to cool soundtrack music. And I actually think Liberty Bell isn't such a strange name.

No comments: