Sunday, August 24, 2008

Cold, hard truth

Bugs are weird. That's the cold, hard truth. This is one of our writing spiders that we have inhabiting our yard (and I've just asked it to kindly leave.) I've seen spiders. I've seen spiders' webs. I've seen bugs caught in the web of a spider and devoured. I haven't seen this mammoth of something wrapped in web and sucked dry. Whoa. It appeared to be a flying creature-perhaps a butterfly-that had the misfortune of flying the wrong way. Now, if I was a spider and something larger than me got caught in my house, I'd turn the other way and let it escape. I know my limits. Nooooo, this spider just wraps it up, licks her lips and begins dinner. When I saw it, I guess half the insect body fluid was gone and the spider's abdomen was expanding. Crazy. When it was done, she kicked it to the curb. I found the dry, empty carcass on the shrub below. I showed my agent..not exactly as excited about nature as I was.



Now I don't have a creepy story to share about this, but I was working in the yard today and this dragonfly (whom I love) landed on the fence, and stayed. I thought, I wish I had a camera since it was just hanging out. I got closer and closer and it just sort of stared and blinked at me. Cute. It hung out so long that I had the crazy idea to just go get my camera. It was still there! It actually left twice during its photoshoot but returned. If it actually landed on me, then I might be freaked out. Many people know that I once read the Native American belief that if you see a dragonfly nearby, that is a sign that you are working on a problem or have some sort of issue in your life. So what does "permanant residence" mean?
Posted by Picasa

No comments: